It’s not a sport, it’s a lifestyle.
1. Getting into the pool for the first time and feeling the frigid water put you into shock.
New Line Cinema / Via her0inchic.wordpress.com
2. Waking up for morning practice at an ungodly hour.
3. If you’re a female swimmer, not being able to shave for months on end.
Universal Pictures / Via hautetalk.com
4. And for the dude swimmers, having to shave EVERYWHERE for a big meet.
One Direction Vevo / Via onedirectionfanfiction.org
5. Looking to the other lanes when you’re swimming breaststroke, even though you know you shouldn’t.
6. Swimming butterfly…
Clive Rose / Getty Images
… because it feels like this.
The Pokemon Company / Via pokemoninengineering.tumblr.com
7. With your huge swimming shoulders, it’s nearly impossible to find clothing that fits.
Universal Pictures / Via puppsfreestuff.com
8. Deck changing, aka exposing yourself to the world.
Warner Bros. Pictures / Via perezhilton.com
9. Dryland workouts, because your poor body is not capable of physical exertion on land.
Nickelodeon / Via stuffpoint.com
10. Knowing you are not the only one peeing in the pool.
11. Two words: chlorine hair.
Lintao Zhang / Getty Images
12. Going for a big start and bellyflopping.
Kenyon College Swimming / Via youtube.com
13. You know you’ll make a bizarre face when you put on your goggles.
Jamie Squire / Getty Images
14. Pray that you do not have leaky goggles, which are the GODDAMN WORST.
15. Nearly as distressing is when your goggles come completely off.
Adam Pretty / Getty Images
16. Raccoon eyes, because your goggles can NEVER be too tight.
17. You also will permanently reek of chlorine.
18. Is being too ripped a thing? Because if anyone suffers from this problem, it’s swimmers.
Nick Laham / Getty Images
Jamie Squire / Getty Images
19. No amount of food can satiate you after a long practice.
Rafael Neddermeyer / Getty Images
Baltimore Sun / Bloomberg
20. Crowded lanes, which make you want to scream at the top of your lungs.
Donald Miralle / Getty Images
21. Putting on your cap, when done incorrectly, can be excruciating.
Ezra Shaw / Getty Images
22. Getting water in your eyes. And your ears. And your nose. And your mouth. Basically, getting water in every orifice of your body.
Al Bello / Getty Images
The CW / Via kyddshawlove.tumblr.com
24. False starts.
Sandra Mu / Getty Images
25. Swim coaches, because their favorite thing in the world is to give you a grueling set. Screaming at you is a close second.
The Tyra Banks Company / Via kyddshawlove.tumblr.com
26. Test sets, or as swimmers know them, the deepest, darkest circle of hell.
But despite the early mornings, gross hair, and insane workouts, you still keep coming back for more.
Walt Disney Pictures / Via ashiploadofpolish.blogspot.com